General care tips for jewellery.
- All jewellery should be treated with care.
- Care should be taken when using cosmetic products such as perfumes, hairspray, tanning lotion, creams etc. It is best to apply products first and allow them to dry fully before putting on your jewellery
- In order to prevent scratches to your jewellery, store it separately either in the boxes or pouches.
- Never shower, sleep, swim, exercise etc. in your jewellery.
- Gemstone beads and pearls should never be immersed in jewellery cleaner.
- Take care not to knock your jewellery on hard surfaces as this can cause semi-precious stones to crack or chip and metal may dent.
- Chains can be delicate - please take care not to catch or tug them.
- Check that the butterflies on earrings are tight so as not to lose earrings and ensure catches are done up securely.
Care for oxidised silver
Oxidisation is the chemical treatment of silver to change the surface colour to a grey/black colour. As with most surface treatments, oxidisation is not permanent and can wear off. This is however a unique and positive feature of oxidisation as it highlights details of the jewellery and wears to each person individually making the jewellery even more unique.
In order to care for your oxidised jewellery, avoid contact with:
(1) chemicals (i.e. perfumes, deodorant spray, hairspray, tanning lotion, creams etc.),
(2) abrasives (this will scratch the surface and remove oxidisation) and
(3) do not immerse oxidised area in any chemicals including jewellery cleaning solutions (this will remove the oxidisation).
Oxidised silver does not generally require any cleaning. If cleaning is required, gently clean with a soft damp cloth. Avoid rubbing, hard brushes or abrasives as this may remove the oxide and scratch the surface.
Care for silver
All silver tarnishes with time. This happens naturally when it comes into contact with sulphides in the air, natural oils in the skin and general pollution in our environment. To keep it looking its best either polish it gently with a silver cloth or wash it in warm soapy water, using a soft toothbrush to get into any awkward crevices. Always read the instructions carefully when using cleaning fluids as certain stones e.g. pearls and gemstones should not be immersed.
hide cleaning instructions.